Skip to main content

This isn't a blog and the content here is not blog posts. Rather, these are random notes I've taken that I've chosen to make public for ease of reference. If you stumble across them and find them helpful, that's great, however, compelling reading and thoughtful prose are not to be found here.

Migrating LastPass Data to Bitwarden

After seeing lots of positive feedback on HN about the Bitwarden password manager, I finally decided to try it out. Because I had over 1,000 accounts in LastPass, many of which were crufty, I wanted to declare "account/password" amnesty while still keeping all the old account information "just in case." Here is how I migrated my LastPass database to Bitwarden.

Read more…

Unicode Errors When Building Django Documentation

The few times I've built Django's documentation from scratch, I always seem to get LaTeX unicode errors.

Unrelatedly, I've found that when I print Django's documentation on a B&W printer, some of the documentation, particularly code, is difficult, if not impossible, to read.

This note describes a brute-force approach to eliminate the unicode errors, as well as a rather churlish way to force Django to produce black and white PDF documentation.

Read more…

Better Local Python

For many years I have managed my local Python installs using a combination of macports, virtualenvs, and pip. I've fought many issues along the way and have finally reached the tipping point. As the TV commercials say, "There has to be a better way!" Whether it is a better way or not remains to be seen, however, I am cutting over to using pyenv for local python installs. These are my notes on using pyenv.

Read more…

Emacs 26, Mojave, elpy, readline

I first started having problems with macOS readline and macports Python a year or two ago. Initially, it was bugs in resetting the tty to a sane configuration when a Python REPL exited. That seems to have been solved, but I'm now encountering readline problems with Python 3.7, GNU Emacs 26.1, and elpy. These notes describe what seems to be a solution, at least for the time being.

Read more…

Web Development Setup on macOS

A Flexible Web Development Setup on macOS

This is a simple way to configure a macOS system for web development. It allows one to develop multiple sites locally, without reconfiguring anything when changing sites/customers.

There are two key components to the strategy: dnsmasq and the httpd daemon's configuration.

Read more…

Culling Duplicate Photos with rmlint

I have twenty-five years worth of old personal hard drives that I wish to scour for photos and videos that should be preserved prior to destroying the drives. In searching for tools to assist me in this effort, I ran across rmlint1, fim2, and fdupes3.

Read more…